Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Sailing Home - Soft Pastels


This month, my theme for swaps was "Masculine Birthday" rather than Father's Day because a lot of times the swaps would come after that holiday.  I'm always needing masculine cards because tend to make flowery cards which would not be appropriate for my son, son-in-law, etc.  This card reminds me of the beautiful sailboats on Lake Lemon in the summertime here in Indiana.  On this particular card, I forgot to add the sun using a 3/4" circle after adding the blue pastel but we can pretend it's behind the small sailboat.  This card was inspired by Elizabeth Hill Rush's card only I changed the sentiment and didn't use the border she used.   It gave me a chance to pull this stamp set out of my collection to use.  It is not retired, but always fun to use some of my older stamp sets besides my new ones.  We used to do a technique called "Poppin Pastels" where you use Versamark ink and then use Pastels to make them pop.  I want to try that on one of my stamp sets next.

These are the instructions for my current card: 

Stamp Set:  Sailing Home

Cardstock:  Misty Moonlight, Basic Black, Basic White

Ink:  Memento Black, Soft Pastels Assortment (Night of Navy, Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight)

Other:  Paper Trimmer, Paper Snips, Sponge Daubers, Q-tips, Post-it Full Stick Notes, Multipurpose Glue, Paper Towel or cloth

 

1.     The base of the card is Misty Moonlight cardstock cut at 4-1/4” x 11” and scored at 5-1/2” in the middle.

2.    Ink up the sailboats with Memento Black ink and stamp the bigger boat in the foreground and the smaller one in the background on 3-3/4” x 5” Basic White cardstock.

3.    Cut out a small circle post-it for the sun and place it between the two ships.

4.    Ink up the ships on the Post-it Full Stick Notes and cut out the ship and sails to place over them for masking.

5.    Take the Night of Navy Soft pastel stick and draw a line across the center of the paper to create the horizon/water.  Zig Zag from that line and around the sailboards to create waves in the water.  Use the Sponge Dauber to blend it into the paper.

6.    Add the circle post it for the sinking sun between the two sailboats at this time.

7.    Take the Poppy Parade Pastel and draw a line above the water line and use a Q-tip or Sponge Dauber to blend.

8.    Take the Daffodil Delight Pastel and zig-zag it across the sky.  Blend with a Dauber.  Try to get into the little areas where the masks are.

9.    Clean off your hands with a paper towel.

10.  Ink up your sentiment “Happy Birthday” with Memento Black ink.

11.   Layer onto the 4” x 5-1/4” Basic Black cardstock.

12.  Add to the base of the card.


Products I used:


 

Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. You have made my day!

Supremely Awesome Round Metal Decor

  This is another project they made on Sunday's club.  It is a Galvanized Metal Bottle Cap that I got at Dollar Tree.  I used the Deckle...